The following is a list of services currently or soon to be provided by the Town.
- Develop and implement activities to comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal stormwater permit including the six minimum measures and annual reporting requirements:
- Public education and outreach;
- Public involvement and participation;
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination;
- Construction site stormwater runoff control (Orange County);
- Post-construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment; and
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations.
- Participate in the Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration Team efforts to remove Bolin Creek from the Impaired Waters List.
- Track and implement provisions under the Jordan Lake Rules, including annual reporting requirements.
- Sweep streets routinely to remove pollutants and debris;
- Inspect and maintain stormwater conveyance system;
- Support capital projects including new green infrastructure initiatives/projects.
- Review development projects involving stormwater management;
- Review/update stormwater related provisions in the Town’s Land Use Ordinance
- Perform field classification of streams; identify and map breakpoints between perennial, intermittent and ephemeral streams;
- Inspect public and private Stormwater Control Measures;
- Conduct annual benthic monitoring;
- Cooperate with Chapel Hill and USGS to monitor stream flow.
- Support property owners participating in FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant Program projects for flood mitigation;
- Respond to stormwater-related citizen inquiries and requests for assistance; investigate an update to the Town’s Drainage Policy and creation of a Residential Assistance Program;
- Provide technical and staff support to the Stormwater Advisory Commission;
- Participate in the Clean Water Education Partnership;
- Maintain website to assist citizens with stormwater related questions.
- Manage and update stormwater billing data; respond to customer inquiries regarding fees, impervious surface data, billing, procedures. Work with Orange County Property Tax Office to implement stormwater rate structure;
- Prepare and administer stormwater-related professional, engineering, ad operational services contracts;
- Maintain stormwater regulatory and infrastructure data systems;
- Prepare and manage operating and capital budgets;
- Identify and pursue grant opportunities to provide supplemental funding for stormwater mitigation, stream repair and restoration, and drainage/infrastructure improvement projects;
- Prepare an annual stormwater report.