Bolin Creek Greenway
The Bolin Creek Greenway Conceptual Master Plan, adopted by the Town of Carrboro in 2009, plans for improvements to the corridor along Bolin Creek and Jones Creek to allow for walking, wheeling and bicycling, including action steps, project prioritization and phasing, land acquisition strategies, and potential renovation recommendations.
The planning area (Bolin Creek Conceptual Master Plan) starts at Estes Drive Extension and encompasses the land around the creek through Carolina North Forest to Homestead Road. It continues to a point of connection with the existing Jones Creek Greenway in the future Twin Creeks Park that extends to Morris Grove Elementary School.
Since the Bolin Creek Greenway concept plan was approved in 2009, the Town has completed two phases of the project. The Wilson Park Multi-use Path connects Wilson Park and nearby neighborhoods, Estes Drive, Estes Park Apartments, and the walking trails of the Adams Tract. The Homestead Road–Chapel Hill High School Multi-use Path connects the Winmore and Claremont neighborhoods to Chapel Hill High School, Smith Middle School, and Seawell Elementary School.
The Bolin Creek Greenway Master Plan includes five phases. To date, two have been completed.
- Already completed sections of trail - Phases 1a and 1b have been constructed and are in use. Phase 1a begins at Wilson Park and terminates just before the railroad across Estes Drive for a total of .4 miles. Phase 1b begins at Chapel Hill High School and crosses Bolin Creek and then continues under Homestead Road. Connections exist to the Claremont South and Claremont neighborhoods.
- Phase 2 is intended to tie into the trails at Lake Hogan Farms with connections made to the Jones Creek Greenway. Phase 2 is .61 miles in length. Update: This is included in long-range transportation plans.
- Phase 3 provides the majority of centralized east/west connections from the Bolin Creek Greenway corridor to nearby neighborhoods.
- Phase 4 continues from the railroad tracks through the PH Craig tract.
Bolin Creek Greenway, Phases 3 and 4, are two of five greenway segments identified in the Town of Carrboro, NC Bolin Creek Greenway Conceptual Master Plan (CMP, 2009; Greenways. Federal Transportation funds to develop the plan were provided through the NCDOT transportation improvements and prioritization processes. The Town solicited qualifications from firms to complete the conceptual plan in 2008. The Greenways Commission assisted with the review and recommended contracting with a consulting firm, Greenways, Inc.
- The Bolin Creek Greenway Conceptual Master Plan - https://www.carrboronc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/12366/Bolin-Creek-Greenway-Conceptual-Master-Plan-
- Current Town Projects Updates - https://carrboro.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=e7d72e31f43f427e95db86dc428904af
- Greenways in Carrboro - https://www.carrboronc.gov/739/Greenways
- Carrboro Connects 2022-2042 Comprehensive Plan – https://www.carrboronc.gov/2389/16175/Carrboro-Connects-Comprehensive-Plan
- Recreation and Park Comprehensive Master Plan, 2006 - https://www.carrboronc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/11221/APPROVEDMASTERPLAN?bidId=
- Biennial Community Survey - https://www.carrboronc.gov/1096/Citizen-Survey-Reports
- Inclusive Carrboro Communications & Community Engagement Plan - https://www.carrboronc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10525/Inclusive-Carrboro-Communications-and-Community-Engagemen?bidId=
- One Orange Racial Equity Framework - https://carrboro.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5398852&GUID=D3093EFE-6567-4F6F-BAD1-55CBAECF126B&Options=&Search=
- On Oct. 17, 2023, the Town Council received an Update to the Bolin Creek Greenway Conceptual Master Plan, including a presentation on the results of a community engagement process undertaken from June to October 2023, and review for technical/regulatory challenges. The Council voted to select the creekside alignment for the Bolin Creek Greenway project.
- At a Business Meeting on March 28, 2023, Town Council directed staff to conduct public engagement on the alternative alignments in the 2009 report between then and October 17 and to bring a report to the Town Council no later than October 31.
- On February 14, 2023, the Town Council held a Work Session: Bolin Creek Greenway Phases 3 and 4 Public Engagement Options - https://bit.ly/3jMdoee
- On June 25, 2019, the Board of Aldermen (BOA) approved a motion to schedule a work session to discuss staff-developed options for a public input process on Bolin Creek Greenway Phases 3 and 4.
- On March 21, 2019, the Board of Aldermen held a retreat, the focus of which was how the Board of Aldermen work together and effectively engages and works with the community on controversial topics.
- On June 12, 2018, the BOA discussed how a public process will proceed for consideration of the Bolin Creek Greenway Phases 3 and 4. According to the meeting minutes , the BOA voted “to continue discussion and to explore best practices of resolving community conflict in an environmental context during the 2019 board retreat.” [Town of Carrboro - File #: 17-535 (legistar.com)
- On June 14, 2016, the Board of Aldermen discussed how to proceed with a public process for consideration of Phases 3 and 4. The Town Manager requested whether the Town Council wanted to continue to limit advisory board’s discussion of this topic and all agreed (see pages 9-10 of the minutes: Town of Carrboro - File #: 16-184 (legistar.com) ).
- From 2013-2016, various discussions, inquiries, and preparation of options for public engagement on Phases 3 and 4.
- On June 21, 2010, the Greenways Commission accepted comments from the public on the conceptual master plan (Carrboro Greenways Commission (townofcarrboro.org)).
- On June 15, 2010, the Board of Aldermen accepted a staff update on Bolin Creek Greenway Planning and requested that information be posted on the Town’s website on the proposed design and phases, including a short description, and specifying that no funding is currently available for Phases 3 and 4
- On April 19, 2010, the Greenways commission reviewed the conceptual master plan
- On March 15, 2010, the Greenways Commission reviewed the conceptual master plan (Carrboro Greenways Commission (townofcarrboro.org)
- On January 12, 2010, the Board of Aldermen referred the Conceptual Master Plan to the Greenways Commission.
- On December 8, 2009, the BOA adopted A Resolution Receiving an Update on the Town’s Greenway Planning Activities (Resolution No. 69/2009-10.) with the following provisions:
- Receive this update and support the continued pursuit of greenway development
- Adopt the recommendation for Phase 1A and 1B (1B would not extend any further south than Jolly Branch), and Phase 2.
- That all three options for Phases 3 and 4 be included in the concept plan.
- That staff be directed to establish a process for public input on Phases 3 and 4.
- Direct staff to pursue a municipal agreement with NCDOT to release an RFP and contract with (a) firm(s) to develop construction documents and initiate environmental permitting for Phases 1 and 2 of the greenway trail
- 12. Subsequent to the adoption of the resolution, MOTION WAS MADE BY JOAL HALL BROUN AND SECONDED BY RANDEE HAVEN-O’DONNELL TO ADOPT THE CONCEPT PLAN WITH THE SPECIFIED CHANGES. VOTE: AFFIRMATIVE SIX, ABSENT ONE (COLEMAN) http://www01.townofcarrboro.org/BoA/Minutes/2009/12_08_2009.pdf